Image Credit – Business Standard


French President Emanuel Macron was re-elected as president of France by its citizens on Sunday. He defeated his far-right opposition Marine Le pen from the National Rally Party.

The projections made by the polling firms, Emanuel Macron won the second round of the presidential elections with 58.55% votes. On the other hand, Marine Le Pen managed to get 41.45 percent of the votes.

Macron has now become the first president to win a second term in two decades. The numbers won by Marine Le Pen show the best ever performance by the far-right.

President Macron, who is 44-year old, has pledged to reunite the country and pacify the anger of those who have voted against him.

In a victory speech at the backdrop of the Eiffel Tower, Macron said, “an answer must be found to the anger and disagreements that led many of our compatriots to vote for the extreme right. It will be my responsibility and that of those around me.”

In a speech addressing her supporters, Pen accepted the defeat. She also has said that she has no plan to quit politics, and is prepared for June legislative elections.

The government of different countries through Twitter has congratulated Macron on his glorious victory.

The President of the USA, Joe Biden, in a tweet, “Congratulations to @EmmanuelMacron on his re-election. France is our oldest ally and a key partner in addressing global challenges. I look forward to our continued close cooperation — including supporting Ukraine, defending democracy, and countering climate change.”

The Prime Minister of India, Narendra Modi Tweeted, “Congratulations to my friend @EmmanuelMacron on being re-elected as the President of France! I look forward to continuing working together to deepen the India-France Strategic Partnership.”

Prime Minister Boris Johnson of the UK tweeted, “Congratulations to @EmmanuelMacron on your re-election as President of France. France is one of our closest and most important allies. I look forward to continuing to work together on the issues which matter most to our two countries and to the world.”

Justin Trudeau, the PM of Canada tweeted, “Congratulations, @EmmanuelMacron. Looking forward to continuing our work together on the issues that matter most to people in Canada and France – from defending democracy, to fighting climate change, to creating good jobs and economic growth for the middle class.